For the 2015-16 academic year, the Brandeis Arts Council awarded grants to the departments of fine arts, theater arts, and music to support the following programs:
New studio intensive workshops
A speaker series on art, race, and activism
Cultural trips to museums and theaters throughout New England
Development and presentation of an original dance theater work by Susan Dibble, to be presented in the Festival of the Arts in April 2016
Residencies by Guerilla Opera of Boston, the Syrian musician Kinan Azmeh, and Rachel Sullivan (The Honest Accomplice Theater, NYC)
A festival and performance of music by Gabriel Faure.
Brandeis Arts Council
The Brandeis Arts Council provides grants to support outstanding performances, exhibitions and programs in the School of Creative Arts. The Council’s mission is to enhance the quality, impact and vitality of the arts at Brandeis through the combined annual contributions of its members.
Council grants support exceptional creative and educational opportunities for artistic development that directly benefit students. The Council is dedicated to fostering the excellence of the fine arts, music and theater arts departments, as well as a shared vision for the arts at Brandeis. "Whether enriching the experiences of students specifically studying the arts or engaging non-majors in memorable creative opportunities, the [Brandeis Arts] Council has transformed our campus." Read a March 2014 article about the Arts Council on BrandeisNOW.
- The council is composed of 20 to 25 members selected from alumni, parents and friends. The council meets annually on campus, and informally each fall in New York City.
- Arts Council members each give an annual gift of $5,000 and serve for a two-year term. The Council’s combined gifts provide a collective pool of funds to support the School of Creative Arts through grants awarded each spring.
- The faculty of the departments of fine arts, music and theater arts are invited to submit grant applications for support. The Council receives these applications in advance of the annual meeting.
- At its annual meeting, the council decides how to allocate the Council’s funds. The Council’s decisions are shared with the provost for final approval.
- During their campus visit, Council members meet with students and faculty, attend campus arts events and engage in conversation about the role of the arts in education.
Brandeis Arts Council Members
2014-15 Academic Year
David Ash '73
Kimberly Ash '06
Harvey Baumann '64
Penny Pressman Bernstein '68
Michelle Bratsafolis '79
Adam Dinkes '95
Stephanie Elkind '80
Kathy Ennis '72
Fern Gelford Lowenfels '59
Amy Merrill '69
Ellen Freeman Roth '80
Liz Rueven, P'09, '13
Mindy L. Schneider '75
Jolie E. Schwab '78
Barbara Cantor Sherman '54, P'83
Ann Tanenbaum '66
For more information, contact Jillian Kohl in the Office of Institutional Advancement.